First Aid Training for Wilderness leaders
(as required for outdoor leader accreditation*)
This Wilderness First Responder training course has been developed over 25 years to meet the requirements for Emergency Response in a Remote or Wilderness Setting. It was originally developed as a ‘first aid course’ run in an outdoor environment to meet the need to contextualise First Aid for Outdoor Leaders.
We have since developed unique course materials and first response protocols that are focussed on training you in the essential skills required to manage a Wilderness Response.
This course exceeds the requirements of the industry accreditation – Wilderness First Responder – incorporating all elements of the Nationally Approved Skills set:SISSS00108 – Wilderness First Aid,
But we have also added
- Scenario based training in Land Search & rescue
- Emergency management strategies to co-ordinate a rescue operation in co-operation with Emergency Services
- Evacuation decision strategies
- Operate Communications Equipment
- Critical incident debriefing
Because we believe Search & Rescue is a fundamental requirement for Wilderness First Aiders we have developed the course beyond the scope offered by other providers, creating a course that is unique in Australia, to include specific training in search & rescue, communications systems and equipment, evacuation and emergency response coordination.
The learning outcomes are drawn directly from the National Training Package for Outdoor Recreation and therefore meet the requirements as core or elective units towards a Certificate III or IV in Outdoor Recreation. This ensures that your training is up-to-date and relevant to the requirements of the outdoor industry.
This course is rogrammed as a four day workshop* held on site in a REMOTE AREA so that you are training in the actual circumstances in which you will be required to utilise the skills taught.
* We are able to offer this course as a four day workshop saving you time in the field by providing essential pre-work to ensure your level of knowledge is sound prior to your attendance on course. This method of training allows you to prepare mentally for the course and allows us to devote more time to hands on scenarios and practical training and less time as a sit down class.
If you are a practical hands on person then this course is right for you.
The course is best described in three modules each building on each other. Each module is explained in detail at the links on the right hand menu:
Apply First Aid is prerequisite to:
gives equivalence to the nationally approved Wilderness First Aid Skills Set
For your unique Qualification as a Wilderness First Responder
Units included in this course are:
- SISOOPS305A Provide first aid in a remote location
- SISXEMR201A Respond to emergency situations
- SISXEMR402A Coordinate emergency responses
- SISXOHS101A Follow occupational health and safety policies
- PUAOPE002B Operate communications systems and equipment
- SISOOPS407A Apply search and rescue skills
Wilderness First Responder including Land Search Operator is a four day course offered at a total cost of $895.00
Persons with an Accredited Qualification* and students of Outdoor Recreation (enrolled with us) may qualify for a discount on the course cost.
A current First Aid certificate (with current CPR) is required as a prerequisite to enrollment in Remote First Aid. Alternatively, if you do not have a current First Aid certificate prior the course, we can provide assessment at a reduced extra cost as a part of your course assessment.
- The course is practically based on Casualty Simulation and Assessment in the field.
- Course pre-work is required to enable us to cover all of the outcomes in this time frame.
* Accreditation and Qualification:
A discount of $200.00 may be given to persons who have done the Wilderness First Responder course previously (or equivalent) and can provide a Nationally Recognised training Certificate listing the units completed. Or, who are enrolled in an Outdoor Recreation Course with requisite units completed. If you have either of these please send it to us so we can verify whether you qualify for a discount.
All of the courses that we run are to the National Standard for Outdoor Recreation, Training and Assessment is delivered in partnership with Asset Training Australia RTO # 31718This means that we are audited by the Federal Government to ensure that our courses are delivered to the standard required under the National Training Framework; we don’t take shortcuts and you are guaranteed of high quality training that is current and to best practice. This is your guarantee of top quality training in current industry standards and procedures. Wilderness First Aid is a recognised skills set in the SIS10 training package and as such meets the requirements for industry accreditation.